On Sunday, a few of us went up to Rancho Alegre, Boy Scout Camp in the Los Padres forest near Santa Barbara to...well scout it out. I have been to the camp about half a dozen times, but never got an extensive tour due to other parties being at the camp when I visited.
This time it was abandoned so we were able to walk through:
- all six (4 overflow if needed) dormatories (not great but clean, you'll w ant to bring an extra pad to sleep on or there should be extras to double up on, each man will probably get their own personal bunk bed)
- the meeting/dining hall (pretty cool way better than Cambria, the PA works, but probably not for worship...we may do a lot outside)
- the pool we won't get to use (long story)
- the pond that is dried up until it rains again
- the campfire area (think of the typical Boy Scout Camp bonfire area...yup that's it)
- the outdoor chapel (pictured above...it was at least 12 levels of aweso me)
- the archery and shooting range (um 12 levels of awesome cubed!)
- someone there told us about a 4 hour hike! (yeah 3 hours up 1 hour down...boooya)
- oh yeah...the mosquitos scouted us...(note to self, bring mosquito repellant)
- on the way I kept thinking how sweet it would be to ride my motorcycle there...
We ended our scouting trip with a time of prayer. That the Lord would annoint this place for all of the men that he calls to go Oct 10-12. That our time there would be "a kick in the pants." Meaning both a great time and an opportunity for God our Father to give us a swift kick in the pants where necessary. The theme is "Giving up Childish Ways (1 Cor 13:11).